English at CPS
At Carterton Primary School, we strive for excellence in English achievement throughout the school. We hope to develop children’s abilities through Reading, Writing and Speaking & Listening. Across all classes, pupils are given opportunities to develop their knowledge, understanding and use of spoken and written English, within a balanced and exciting curriculum. There are lots of opportunities for children to consolidate and reinforce taught English skills and to apply them in a range of contexts.
Children at Carterton Primary school will:
· Learn how to read and write with fluency, understanding and confidence, developing a range of independent strategies to take responsibility for their own learning
· Be encouraged to develop a love of reading and to read for enjoyment
· Develop their ever-growing vocabulary, through an interest in words and their meanings
· Experience a range of text/media types and genres, across a range of contexts, to develop their understanding: this will involve a storytelling approach and writing for purpose around a book
· Learn to write in a variety of styles and be able to apply characteristic features of texts to their own writing
· Develop a technical vocabulary with understanding of grammatical terminology
· Have the opportunity to write for pleasure, to explore and develop their own ideas
· Most importantly, children will have the opportunity to develop their creativity and imagination.